You might not know it yet, but you've got a pretty awesome dad.
Here are the top ten things that you should know about Dad:
1. Dad likes to take care of everybody. No exceptions. It doesn't matter if you're a stranger or if you're his best friend - if you need something, he's the man to go to.
2. If you ask nicely, he'll play the guitar for you. He'll tell you he's no good at it and that he's a "poser", but don't believe him. He's amazing.
3. Dad's really good at budgeting. There are going to be times in our lives that I'm going to want to buy something (likely shoes) and Dad is going to have a look. Trust in that look.
4. Dad is the most supportive person you will ever meet. You want to try dance? Go for it. You want to pick up an instrument? Yes. Move across the county? Why not? You can always count on Dad to be in your corner. Always.
5. Sometimes, Dad gets overwhelmed. And that's okay. When this happens - just let it. When you're as awesome as Dad, you are allowed to have moments of frustration.
6. Dad is a quiet guy. This doesn't mean that he isn't paying attention, or that he doesn't care about what's going on. It just means he's absorbing it all in.
7. Dad's a vegetarian. At this moment, he has been for 15 years (I think). But that doesn't mean you can't eat meat around him. And it's okay to ask him about it too - for some reason people get weird about it. It's just who he is, and it makes him happy.
8. Dad's funny. Like, seriously funny. Sometimes he's overtly funny and sometimes he's subtly funny. Sometimes it's a just a look, sometimes it's an inside joke. But he's really funny.
9. Dad will challenge you. In everything. He'll respect your opinions - but he'll make you defend them. He'll present an opposite point of view. He'll make you explain your thinking, your thoughts, your passions. And you'll grow because of this.
10. Dad loves us. Never, ever forget that.
Yesterday was not only Father's Day - but it was also Dad and my one year wedding anniversary. I spent a lot of yesterday realizing how lucky I am to have him in my life. We are both so lucky.
I'm also realizing right now that depending on how old you are when you read this that you will either find this somewhat funny and enlightening, or maybe gross because it's all touchy-feely. Sorry about that :)