First, a big shout out over to Jessica over at AdoptPeru who nominated me for the Liebster Award. I really love reading Jessica's blog. First of all, she's incredibly funny, but also I get the chance to read about an adoption process that's entirely different from my own. You should head over and show her some love!
This is all great, but what is the Liebster Award?
In Jessica's words: "The Liebster Award is presented from blogger to blogger. It’s a way to recognize up and coming bloggers with less than 200 followers while getting to know them, and help others to discover them as well!" That sums it up pretty nicely I think! Another added bonus, I think, is the fact that many people don't know who is reading their blogs. I'm sure my nominations to several of the blogs will come as a complete surprise to them.
There are several things that one must do once nominated for this award:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because as Jonathan and I started the adoption process, I was so confused and stressed out. I felt like there was a ton of sites that were just trying to get our business (and money), and not a lot of sites that would just give me information. So Jonathan and I decided to start this blog to hopefully be a source of information for people like us. We also thought it would be a really cool way to chronicle our journey so that someday our child would be able to see the process we went through.
2. What is your favorite food?
My favorite food is the peirogies that Jon brings home every time he visits his grandmother in Pennsylvania. It is one of my goals this year to learn how to make them!
3. What was your first job?
My first job was as a cashier at Baggins. I worked every Saturday and when I got fired for having to go to a band competition instead of working the Saturday shift, my mother went in and gave the manager hell. It was awesome and terrifying all at the same time.
4. What are you having for dinner tonight?
Tonight is a show night with my students, so probably Jimmy John's and Starbuks :)
5. Pick one word to describe your blog.
6. If you could go to any place in the world on a free vacation for a week, where would you go?
I would probably go to Scotland. I would love to explore my family's history in that region. Plus, everybody would look pale like me!
7. Who was your favorite teacher?
Mr. Blankfield in my junior year of High School. He taught me a little about how our world works - but more about being myself regardless of what others thought of me. He also genuinely cared for us. What I admired most about him is that he was always himself in front of us - regardless of what that meant. He never hid is tattoos, he told us exactly what he thought about our decisions, and sometimes the lesson called for saying an adult word or two. I respected that a lot.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
As a mom, hopefully. We'll be in our new house (although it won't be new by then). I'll have my Masters Degree at that time. Maybe I'll still be teacher where I am, maybe I'll move on to teaching at a University. I think if we've been placed with our first child, we'll be on our way to adopting our second.
9. Who would you say has been the most influential person in your life?
My sister. Growing up, she was always my confidant, as well as my built in best friend. She constantly challenges me to be true to who I am at the same time as loving me for being so completely different from her. She is my rock in all things and I would be lost without her.
10. If you had to be any animal for the rest of your life , what would you pick?
Probably a lion. I don't know, I'm just feeling lion.
11. What is your favorite color?
Here Are 11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I can't stand the way a banana sounds when I'm eating it.
2. I still love Disney, and probably always will. It stresses me out when my husband says he won't go to Disneyland/Disneyworld with me more than I care to admit.
3. I love to try and make things and be crafty. Sad part is, almost all my projects fail. But I enjoy the process anyway!
4. I love to listen to the sound of rain. It's the Arizona in me.
5. I operate best when I'm really busy and a little stressed out.
6. I wish I could sing and dance.
7. I have three cats - but long for a dog
8. My favorite animal is the bison.
9. My favorite play is Seascape With Sharks and Dancer
10. Even though teenagers are not the easiest people to deal with, I LOVE being a high school theatre teacher.
11. Family is incredibly important to me.
Here are my 11 nominees for the Liebster Award:
Confessions of a Book Smeller - A witty little corner of the internet written by my dear friend Lia. Our hope that is with this award, she'll be motivated to blog more often ;)
Chunky Potatoes - A blog and brand lead by my fearless cousin and his wife supporting their communities.
Run Away With Me - Just try to read this blog and not want to move to Alaska or do all the things this wonderful woman does!
The TriGirl Chronicles - Another incredibly inspiring blog about fitness and challenging yourself.
Hi. I like you - A former co-worker and her adventures in Hawai'i
My Adoption Destination - A really beautiful, humble blog written by a Birth Mother and advocate for adoption.
Sarah and John Adopt - A lovely blog. Like ours, this couple is blogging about their journey to growing their family through adoption.
Adoption Love - A lovely look in to this adoptive family. Although she's on an "intermission" right now, I highly suggest looking through her archives.
Once Upon a Prayer - This blog isn't used often, but the family's FaceBook page Praying for Lily is. I'm not sure if this is "breaking the rules" of the Liebster Award, but I think this adoptive family deserves all the love it can get.
Expecting Miracles - I just think this blog is beautiful. The design, the story. I love it.
MomWorkCook - Because, who doesn't love food?!
Go show these blogs some love!